Just in time for Hallowe'en, we invited Kait Tremblay to talk about A Mortician's Tale and what the "Death Positive" movement is, horror in general and why we're drawn to the genre.
Guest intro - Kait Tremblay (00:00:47)
Our guest is Kait, a contract narrative designer and writer - most recently A Mortician's Tale. She also released Ain't No Place for a Hero, a book that looks at subversive and inclusive storytelling in Borderlands.
What we've been up to (00:03:49)
- AHS: Roanoke (Kait)
- (00:05:50) Wings Chronicles (Riley)
- (00:07:46) Dream Daddy (Pam)
- (00:10:23) Alien: Isolation (Kait)
- (00:12:40) Layers of Fear (Kait)
- (00:13:48) Destiny 2 (Riley)
- (00:15:27) The Park (Pam)
- (00:16:55) Cuphead (Pam)
- (00:20:12) Podcasts: Sawbones, My Favourite Murder (Kait)
- (00:23:15) The Secret Life of Canada (Ep. 3 - Birchtown) (Riley)
- (00:25:30) Wolfenstein 2 (Pam)
- (00:28:50) Why do we love horror? What do we get out of it?
- (00:32:52) Why do you think we see more female leads in this genre?
- (00:39:53) When is Horror best as a social experience? When is it best to experience alone?
- (00:44:35) Hidden Agenda (Thanks for the tip, Yussef!)
Listener Questions (00:46:00)
- (00:46:11) What are your favourite horror movies? @hiddlestonlvr
- (00:49:37) Favourite horror books? Games (00:53:47)?
- (00:59:27) Most effective movie soundtrack - or is no music more effective? (@the_doc_webb)
- (01:03:36) What elements do you find the most unintentionally scary? Have you ever been creeped out by a scene that was not supposed to be horror? (@the_doc_webb)
- (01:06:51 ) What's the horror piece that has left the biggest impact on you? Not necessarily the best, but stays with you? (@CGRRRRRRR)
- (01:12:03) What's your favourite horror death scene? (@thesinglebanana)
- (01:14:01) What's your favourite horror subgenre? (@VGcollectaholic)
- (01:16:08) Is there a horror movie you remember watching as a kid in strict disobedience to your parents? Was it worth it? (@alatinolawyer)
- (01:18:50) Have you ever had a movie or a scene scare you to the point where you had to shut it off? And did you ever go back to it later? (@mustyhobbit)
- (01:22:42) How do you deal with writing horror stories that personally affect you? What are steps you take to pace yourself when creating? (@rokashi)
- (01:25:17) What is the first thing that really, truly scared you? (@hiddlestonlvr)
- (01:31:31) Does humor have any business being in horror? (@STCPod)
If you’ve got any feedback, questions, people or topics you’d like to hear on future episodes of the show, you can reach out at MediaMavensCast@gmail.com or on Twitter @_MediaMavens. We've also got a forum to discuss episode at CartridgeClub.org. If you like the show, please give us a review on iTunes or Stitcher.
Music: Vivacity by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/