Today we're talking about AppleCider's article, Looking Back on Gaming without Nostalgia! We chat about feeling left out of the conversation, and how you don't necessarily have to play a game to talk about it.
Guest Intro (00:00:45)
Brief intro to our returning guest, AppleCider!
What we've been up to (00:01:19)
- World of Warcraft
- Fall TV Shows: Atlanta, Chef's Table: France
- World of Warcraft
- Once Upon a Time
- Grey's Anatomy
- The Bunker
- Attack the Block
- Hard Candy
- The People vs OJ Simpson
- American Horror Story
- Chez Lindsey
Gaming and Nostalgia (00:36:03)
AppleCider's article : https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/09/looking-back-on-gaming-without-nostalgia.html
- Why write this now? What spurred you to talk about it?
- Gatekeeping in gaming
- Positives and negatives that come from having a lack of nostalgia
- How much mainstream dialogue around games requires extra knowledge (ex describing a game as a 'Metroidvania')
- Cultural osmosis of gaming knowledge
- There are so many ways to experience a game now (Let's Plays, Streaming) so do you need to play a game to talk about it?
Twitter/Listener questions (01:27:47)
- Does a gender double standard also apply to requiring childhood gaming for credibility or is that universal? @lonelyboardgame
- Does a remake of a classic owe a duty to new players to do more than just modernize the graphics? @alatinolawyer
AppleCider's new article is up on Kotaku! Check out her writing on Overwatch and femslash here: http://kotaku.com/why-overwatch-fans-are-obsessed-with-shipping-its-femal-1787244865?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Kotaku_twitter
If you’ve got any feedback, questions, people or topics you’d like to hear on future episodes of the show, you can reach out at MediaMavensCast@gmail.com or on Twitter @_MediaMavens. If you like the show, please give us a review on iTunes or Stitcher.
Music: Vivacity by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/