Our main segment is full of spoilers for Arrival.
We invited Yussef Cole on to talk about Arrival and its similarities to Mass Effect.
Guest and Topic Intro (00:00:32)
A brief intro to our guest, Yussef Cole, who writes about games for outlets such as Paste Magazine and hosts the Video Game Hour podcast.
What we've been up to (00:07:17) Yussef (@youmeyou)
- Persona 4 Golden
- Dishonored 2
- I Am Not Your Negro
- Hidden Figures
- Mystic Messenger Christmas DLC
- Heroes of the Storm
- Goblin: The Lonely and Great God
- King's Quest
- The Girl with all the Gifts (movie)
- Obvious Child
- The Black Tapes Podcast
Arrival (00:51: 30)
- What is Arrival?
- Mass Effect, Arrival and Social Responsibility in Sci-Fi (Yussef's article)
- What both Arrival and Mass Effect say about the importance of humans and working together
- How Arrival and its aliens differ from most other fiction
- The importance of language
- Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis
- Time travel
- Wasn't this less convoluted, and therefore WAY BETTER, than Interstellar? @alatinolawyer
- Is the ending of Arrival good? @xhugglesx
- The aliens come with companions and convey language jointly. What lessons does this movie give about our beliefs on efficiency and teaching if they don't just show a video or learn our languages to communicate? @alatinolawyer
If you’ve got any feedback, questions, people or topics you’d like to hear on future episodes of the show, you can reach out at MediaMavensCast@gmail.com or on Twitter @_MediaMavens. If you like the show, please give us a review on iTunes or Stitcher.
Music: Vivacity by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/